5 Useful Tips from Neil Berman:
- Use the Safe Search features in Google, Yahoo and Bing, which restrict mature content from showing up in search results. YouTube has a similar feature.
- Keep home computers in family areas with screens pointed into the room. Agree boundaries with children about what’s appropriate and what’s not appropriate to view on the Internet.
- If you want to introduce usage time limits for children at home, Windows 7 and Mac computers come with this feature. Find it in the Parental Controls section of the Control Panel (Windows) or System Preferences (Mac).
- If you’re concerned that you made Facebook posts Public by mistake, there is a way to restrict all of your historical posts to Friends only. Follow the option in your Facebook privacy settings called ‘Limit the Audience for Past Posts’.
- Change passwords often, or immediately if you suspect a password has been used by an unauthorized person.